Young people

It can be very difficult to live in a family where there is domestic violence and abuse. Your parents and other family members should always look after and care about you, never hurt you and never hurt each other.

There is a young person attached to every body, respect both.

You have a right to be safe and protected from being hurt. If someone is hurting you, or someone at home, or if you are frightened about being hurt, tell an adult who you trust. This could be:

  • A teacher
  • A youth worker
  • A neighbour
  • A counsellor
  • A doctor
  • One of your friend’s parents
  • An aunt, uncle or grandparent
  • A trusted friend of your parent/carer
  • The police in an emergency on 999
  • ChildLine on 0800 1111

If you feel you can’t talk to anyone you know, there are organisations that can help you. No matter how hard it is to see someone in your family being hurt, it’s important that you don’t try and stop the violence and get hurt. It’s much safer for you to tell a trusted adult and get help.

Abuse by a partner

Are you feeling worried about the way your boyfriend or girlfriend is treating you? Are they violent towards you, or do they put you down, call you names and tell you what you can or can’t do? Your relationship will be very important to you, but you need to think about how you want to be treated. Do you want to spend time with someone who thinks it’s OK to hurt you, call you names, put you down and tell you what to do? You have a right to enjoy a relationship that is caring and safe. Unfortunately, lots of young people experience some kind of hurt from their boyfriends or girlfriends.

If you are in immediate danger – call 999 now and ask for help.

If you would like to talk to someone, call ChildLine on 0800 1111.

Are you worried about a child?talk to someone

If you are worried that a child or young person under the age of 18 might need help and/or is being neglected or hurt, it is important that you share your worries. Many people feel nervous about making a referral because they do not want to interfere and make things worse, or get it wrong, but it’s better to be wrong than to do nothing. Your action could help protect a child from being harmed.

For more information visit the London Borough of Bexley Children’s Social Care page Worried about a child which includes the following sections:

  • I am a member of the public who is worried about a child or young person
  • I am a professional worried a child or young person
  • How to contact the Multi-Agency Safeguarding Hub (MASH)
  • What might happen if I make a referral to Children’s Social Care.